Wednesday, January 28, 2009

My Birthday!




Silly Mommy, always worrying needlessly. You're little package was perfect! My companions were jealous of my present :) And we loved the music video - they pretty much think I have the coolest family ever (well, at least a really funny one, anyway). I mean who else makes such amazing works of cinematography? I had them really wanting to see "The Power of the Tag" after telling them about it. I just laughed and laughed while we were watching your latest film. Of course, I had to explain the importance of tumbleweeds to one's happiness to them. My favorite part was the girls trying to roll Jeff around and Mylie running away from being steamrolled.

I didn't need any package to open for my birthday, because my companions take such good care of me. They made me breakfast and a little foam birthday crown to wear around the house, and a tres leches cake with kiwi and peaches. Then at the end of the day, they made some excuse about having to stop by the Cueva's house (the Honduran family in the ward) and they had a little surprise party for me! Sis. Cueva made me some cake and the kids all sang happy birthday to me. So we were probably all celebrating at the same time. You all are so silly, I'm glad you had so much fun having a party for me!

So, I don't know if you've heard of this before, but the tradition in Central America is, after you blow out the candles, everyone starts chanting "Mordida! Mordida!" (which I guess means "bite it!") and you have to try to bite the cake before someone smooshes your face in it. Of course, what usually happens is a face fully of frosting and everyone thinks this is really funny. And that's what happened to me - I even got cake and frosting up my nose! (I'll send you the picture when I can get it from Sis. Daw). Then my companions had managed to buy me a couple presents without me noticing while we were at the store and I opened them after I cleaned out my nostrils. I don't know how they did it, they are so sneaky - it's hard to do anything without your companions noticing! They are the best companions ever. Then after returning home we played a couple of rousing games of speed scrabble while drinking pina coladas until we got....the call.

I pretty much already knew I was getting moved, but President called and confirmed it and told me I was going to Gretna, VA. No West Virginia for me, since I'll more than likely stay in Gretna the rest of my mission since I'll be training again. I've been doubled into most of my areas! I actually kind of like it though, because you and your companion learn everything and meet everyone together. I'm not sure of the address yet, but I'll get that to you next week. Sis. Martineau and Sis. Daw were expecting to go back to just the two of them and were complaining that it would be lonely now, but then they found out that they're getting another companion. I guess one more sister is going home early due to health problems.

The only thing about my birthday that was a bummer is that we found out that our investigator family from Honduras that we've been so excited about (and who always sing for us) are suddenly moving to Richmond because of their work. In fact, they left today. They said they'd let us know when they knew where they were living and that they'd look up the missionaries, but it was still a bummer for us. Crazy things always happen when people are trying to do what's right, it seems. We had another investigator go to the hospital this week. But I admit, I didn't get too attached to many of the people here because I knew I wouldn't be here very long.

I will miss my companions though - and all our little musical moments :) One day we decided to do our nightly planning session all in song. I've always thought it would be fun if life was really a musical and randomly people would burst into song and choreographed dance numbers. Here it began to be a reality :) Don't worry about going off on all the educational stuff you are doing, mom, it sounds so neat and it makes me really miss it and want to be a part of it too. And I'm really jealous that Dad is taking the concealed weapons class without me! Oh well :) Well, I got to get going. Love you all!

~Daughter of a Newt

No comments: