Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Conference

Hello Family Dear,

How’d y’all like conference? I did get to go to all the sessions; we left our house building at habitat early so we could make it. Is that how they always sustain a new president of the church? I guess I don’t remember when they sustained President Hinckley. It was interesting how they all witnessed and testified of each other that they were servants of the Lord. President Monson truly is the Lord’s chosen prophet, you could feel it. And you could also see the weight of the responsibility bearing down on him, but he will carry it well. I know they talk about obedience and agency all the time, but those seemed to me to be especially emphasized. It was almost like they were saying, “Choose ye THIS DAY whom ye will serve”, well, they actually did say that a couple times, but it seemed even more important and pressing that we choose NOW what path we will follow. I was also stuck by Elder Oaks (I think) who talked about the relationship between obedience and knowledge. It really is a true principle if we just have the faith to try it, the more obedient we are the more we will be able to receive more knowledge, and of course the opposite is true as well, the more real knowledge we have the more we want to obey, because the gospel really does make you more free, why do we forget that so often? The other day someone asked me if I thought I’d always be a member of the Mormon Church and I felt like Peter did when Jesus asked the apostles “Will ye also go away?” after many of his followers left, and he answered and said “To whom shall we go? Thou hast the words of eternal life.” So when President Packer quoted that in his talk it really hit me. Why would I ever not be a member of Jesus Christ’s true and living church when it is on the earth again today? It doesn’t make any sense to not be, because that’s where the “words of eternal life” are and where we have a prophet to lead and guide us today. I have chosen whom I will serve, and now my mission is to help others realize they must choose as well.

Anyway, I was up to laughing at my mother, I wish I could have seen you getting all soaked by the geyser of water :) But I'm glad it's all fixed. So Kristi is a pretty good driver after all? That's good to hear :) It's fine for her to drive my car; in fact after she gets her license she can drive it all the time if she wants. It's funny, I was just going to ask about how Grandma Johnson was doing, but you answered my question before I could ask it, so I will definitely keep her in my prayers.

Brian and Kira are coming home already? Wow, have I already been out that long? I guess I will hit my 6 month mark next month - Sister Taylor and I will hit it together, how nice... Next transfers will be on the 21st of May, (your anniversary!) so hopefully I'll get something of a change then :) But back to Brian and Kira, they really won't be too far from me if they are going to be in Pennsylvania.

Ok, talk to y'all later. Love you! ~Melissa

No comments: