Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Brian & Kira

Cemetery mound with Sis. Reeves, Kira and me
Hi everyone!

I've been meaning to write to my "hot grandma" now for a couple weeks, so I guess I'll go do that after I get done here :) She is a crack up! It makes sense though, her choice of “neat-o-cool” names and her love of rap music :) I guess I'll have a lot of people to add to face book when I get home, too.

So anyway, that's exciting about the chain of events that has unfolded. I would like you to email me some of that information if you ever get around to it. It was just interesting how from the first time I saw a little historical marker that mentioned the Moundbuilders I couldn't stop wondering about it. And then when Brian was telling me a little bit about it, it made sense to me why I was so fascinated by it. I decided that it's probably Captain Moroni that's buried in the "conus" mound in the cemetery :) It has a moat around it and everything, just like he liked to build things... So yeah, it was fun to see Brian and Kira real quick. Did I ever tell you how I have started to think of Brian as older than me now? It was funny because whenever people asked Sis. Hill and I about our families, for some reason I'd always say something about how I was the 4th child and then have to correct myself and so, no, I'm the third and people would look at me funny. It must be because I'm the 4th to go on a mission and probably the 4th to get married (unless Rick is going to beat me to it.... :) I told Brian to call my mission president and ask permission, but I don't think he did, and I didn't ask, so I'll just plead ignorance. It would have been just fine by President Cowley, but I have no idea about Pres. Thornock. But also, I figure I'm not like most missionaries :) I'm used to only seeing my family every now and then, and it doesn't distract me. You know me, I've never been one to get homesick, but that doesn't mean I don't love to see my family! I'm sorry I still haven't really taken any pictures for you. I was going to do some of that today, but it's raining outside....

It's really interesting what has been happening in this ward. It's not very big and it seems to be split about half and half with long-time residents and young families that have moved here- all for random reasons. But one ward member was telling me how a couple years ago, right before all the young families started moving in from all over, the ward had fasted and prayed for more families to help the ward grow (actually I think it was only a branch until a few years ago) and to spread the gospel more in this area. And now the ward has almost doubled through these families. And now, these young families are getting to know their neighbors and are active in the community and it is doing a lot to help the church in this area. This city especially is so religious, and tracting is pretty much fruitless, so I think the Lord knows that the only way a lot of these people would listen to the gospel is through the example and influence of active church members, and he sent a lot of them here! Isn't it amazing what fasting and praying can do? There still isn't a whole lot of missionary work going on here, but there will definitely be great things happening here soon. But just like it says in the scriptures, miracles are dependent on our faith. The faith of the members have gotten more people here, now they just need to take it too the next level! We just need to keep praying with "real intent" where we actually intend on acting on the answers we receive. I love the last couple of paragraphs in the Bible dictionary under 'prayer' where it says God has all these blessings he wants to give us, He's just waiting for us to ask and put our will in line with His.

Well, I better get going soon, but let me just tell you, my "little" greenie is awesome. She doesn't even need to be trained - and a good thing, because I'm not much of a trainer. And what makes it even better is she actually thinks I'm funny with all my eccentricities. And she's a little older too, so I don't feel as old - she's 23. Another odd thing, she's my second companion in a row to have lost one of their parents within the last year. There's been too many little coincidences on my mission so far - it makes me think that there really is someone in charge up there.... :)

Oh! Did I tell you my District Leader plays the bagpipes and brought them with him? So random. We had a little birthday party since 3 of the 4 Elders in my district have a birthday this week. And he played his bagpipes for us. I hope the people that live above us didn't mind....

Well, love you all!

~Melissa

No comments: