Wednesday, September 3, 2008

No Recluse

Me hanging out on the caboose that's in the little Historic Harmer village, right outside of Marietta
Paddle boat on the Ohio with Marietta in the background

Sister Hill, Brother Passic, Amber and Brian Dalia and me before Amber's baptism
Wow, have we ever had winds that strong before in Phoenix? That's crazy!

It floods here pretty bad every 3 or 4 years, and I think it's about due for it, but I don't think it usually floods this time of year. So at least for awhile I'm safe. You know what I've found really interesting about being on a mission? How fast and well you get to know towns. I've only been here three weeks, but I could probably tell you a little more about the early history and what not of this town than I could Phoenix. And I've learned to like people in general a lot more, or at least not avoid them so much, than I used to, but maybe that's because I have to as a missionary :) I even have urges to talk to random people...me! Can you believe it? Did I ever tell you how in a blessing from Bro. Passic I was told basically not to be a recluse? I have to live somewhere where there's people around... there goes my dreams of living in a cave.... :) I think I'm another product of our society that teaches everyone to keep themselves separate from everyone else and think only of themselves. And that's exactly the opposite of what the gospel teaches. We are taught to be a Zion people. A people of one heart and mind - that works together and sacrifices for each other. We are supposed to find joy together, but instead we make ourselves lonely. And only the gospel can unite everyone, every nation and culture. We are supposed to be WE. I think that's something Heavenly Father has really been trying to teach me.

I've really loved, also as a missionary, hearing so many people's stories, their conversions and struggles and testimonies. In fact, Pres. Thornock has had us start collecting conversion stories of the ward members into a book to use as a missionary tool, so we can introduce new investigators to members who maybe had some of the same struggles. I'm really excited about it. Especially out here you get some great stories. Not that people that have been members all their lives don't have great stories as well, in fact sometimes those are even more interesting because you find things you wouldn't expect. Hey here's an assignment for you - write your conversion story (you too, dad) and send them to me!

Well, things are going well here in Marietta, we are still trying to get things going, but we are slowly adding more people to teach. My Greenie is coming along fine. Better than me in my first few weeks anyway. Oh, did I tell you how Sister Reeves plays the flute too and brought it with her? She plays the piano too, so we'll have to put together some sort of musical number or something.

We had a big Labor Day pancake and bacon breakfast and interview with our mission president this week. Other than that, nothing big happening. Unless you count our adventures at the Laundromat. This is the first time I've had to use a Laundromat on my mission, it's kind of annoying how it consumes so much time and money...but you meet interesting people.

Well, better go. Love you all!

~Melissa

No comments: