We were trying to take a District picture, but my timer went off before anyone was ready...both from the good ol' Camelview Ward!
I hate to throw another kink in your letter writing routine, Mumzy, but Pres. Thornock decided to change our P-day to Tuesday instead of Wednesday starting next week. He thinks somehow it will help us get more people to church on Sunday (at least that's what my zone leader said)...I don't quite see the connection...but whatever. So now you'll have to write letters to missionaries two days in a row.
I did get to go to the Relief Society Broadcast, and I don't know about you but I couldn't help laughing at the lady who was conducting the choir...she reminded me of what's-her-name in the stake, you know who I'm talking about - and I thought that maybe we were laughing together, at the same time, even though we're miles apart :)
There's a lady here in the ward that I think you'd get along with famously - we were visiting her family and I can't remember why it came up but I started telling her about you and your attitudes about Relief Society and certain traditions and she went off on a rant in agreement with your views about candy at church and people expecting to be brought meals, etc. It was funny - so there are people out there that agree with you :)
You know, I think it's so strange how no matter where I go, I run into people I have a connection with. There's at least three of the members here that have lived in Phoenix and know exact places I talk about. In fact, the former bishop of this ward, Brian Greene, says he went to Arcadia High school and used to always break into the gym of our church building with a comb. He says his brother still lives in the area but is inactive. It really is a small world - especially when you are a member of the church.
Oh and in response to Kyle's comment, yep, that would be Ty. He had a big air show to go to this weekend so he didn't come to church, but he's still meeting with us.
Our other most promising investigator, Jamie, basically asked us yesterday when she could be baptized. And yes, normally that would be cause to jump up and down, but with her I'm not completely convinced she isn't just doing it because her boyfriend is a member and they plan on getting married. But maybe it's one of those cases where she's willing to do all she's asked and the real testimony will come as she goes.
But did you know there's a Buffalo farm here? Maybe I'll have to take a picture for you. And I got called a "Nun" the other day; that made my week. My other favorite thing I've been called is a "Sister of Moroni" by some old skater dude. I hadn't heard that one before. It's really funny, because most people don't recognize us as missionaries right away because we're not the Elders that always are dressed alike. The same guy that asked if we were nuns, after we told him that we were missionaries said, "You mean, like Mormons?" When we replied that, “Yes, that was us”, he then said something like, "Is that their new tactic, so people don't run away right off the bat?" It was rather amusing.
I also had a thought I'd never thought before as I was studying the scriptures the other day. I don't know if you've ever noticed but the curse of Cain was not dark skin, it was basically that the land wouldn't produce for him, and so he had to wander and hunt and beg to survive - the dark skin was just to set him apart. Then I noticed that it sounded like it was the same thing with the Lamanites. So I thought, maybe that's why the Lamanites became a nomadic people who hunted and whatnot - because the land wouldn't produce for them. Anyway, random scriptural thought for the day. I would expand on it more, but I'm out of time on the computer.
Thank you for all you do and the pictures and I'm also very thankful that Dad was not electrocuted. Love you all!
~Melissa
I did get to go to the Relief Society Broadcast, and I don't know about you but I couldn't help laughing at the lady who was conducting the choir...she reminded me of what's-her-name in the stake, you know who I'm talking about - and I thought that maybe we were laughing together, at the same time, even though we're miles apart :)
There's a lady here in the ward that I think you'd get along with famously - we were visiting her family and I can't remember why it came up but I started telling her about you and your attitudes about Relief Society and certain traditions and she went off on a rant in agreement with your views about candy at church and people expecting to be brought meals, etc. It was funny - so there are people out there that agree with you :)
You know, I think it's so strange how no matter where I go, I run into people I have a connection with. There's at least three of the members here that have lived in Phoenix and know exact places I talk about. In fact, the former bishop of this ward, Brian Greene, says he went to Arcadia High school and used to always break into the gym of our church building with a comb. He says his brother still lives in the area but is inactive. It really is a small world - especially when you are a member of the church.
Oh and in response to Kyle's comment, yep, that would be Ty. He had a big air show to go to this weekend so he didn't come to church, but he's still meeting with us.
Our other most promising investigator, Jamie, basically asked us yesterday when she could be baptized. And yes, normally that would be cause to jump up and down, but with her I'm not completely convinced she isn't just doing it because her boyfriend is a member and they plan on getting married. But maybe it's one of those cases where she's willing to do all she's asked and the real testimony will come as she goes.
But did you know there's a Buffalo farm here? Maybe I'll have to take a picture for you. And I got called a "Nun" the other day; that made my week. My other favorite thing I've been called is a "Sister of Moroni" by some old skater dude. I hadn't heard that one before. It's really funny, because most people don't recognize us as missionaries right away because we're not the Elders that always are dressed alike. The same guy that asked if we were nuns, after we told him that we were missionaries said, "You mean, like Mormons?" When we replied that, “Yes, that was us”, he then said something like, "Is that their new tactic, so people don't run away right off the bat?" It was rather amusing.
I also had a thought I'd never thought before as I was studying the scriptures the other day. I don't know if you've ever noticed but the curse of Cain was not dark skin, it was basically that the land wouldn't produce for him, and so he had to wander and hunt and beg to survive - the dark skin was just to set him apart. Then I noticed that it sounded like it was the same thing with the Lamanites. So I thought, maybe that's why the Lamanites became a nomadic people who hunted and whatnot - because the land wouldn't produce for them. Anyway, random scriptural thought for the day. I would expand on it more, but I'm out of time on the computer.
Thank you for all you do and the pictures and I'm also very thankful that Dad was not electrocuted. Love you all!
~Melissa

No comments:
Post a Comment