Thursday, November 22, 2007
Thanksgiving Day
On Friday, I was passing a mirror and I glanced at myself and I had to stop – I saw myself all dressed like a missionary and that black missionary name tag stared at me. I almost didn’t recognize myself, and then it struck me, “Whoa, I’m a missionary! How’d that happen?” I could never really picture myself as a missionary before – and there I was. Even more amazing to me, I realized, was that I actually, really wanted to be a missionary. Who would’ve thought? For the first time in my life I have that desire, to share the gospel with others. I guess I’ve finally realized that it has made all the difference in my life and really does bring true and lasting happiness. And now I want everyone else to see the difference it can make in their lives, too. And not only does it amaze me that I’m really a missionary, it amazes me that Heavenly Father trusts me to do it. Me, with all my weaknesses, faults, and mistakes I’ve made. Guess I’ll have to work hard, not to let Him down.
Well, life here at the MTC is definitely quite an adjustment for me. Luckily, I only have to be here three weeks. Not that I don’t like it, I think it’s the fact that I’m sitting in a chair, inside, all day long that gets to me. Actually, it’s driving me nuts. I’m used to hiking all day long and being outside 24-7! Sometimes, I sit or stand next to the window and pretend. I actually got to go outside for a gym period the other day. It felt so good! I just ran – with the sunshine on my face and the breeze in my hair – the whole time. It’s also great to wear pants every now and then instead of pretending to be all proper in a skirt all the time. But as soon as I get to West Virginia I’ll be able to be outside a lot more and get plenty of opportunities to walk. So that’s why I’m glad to only be here three weeks. But I’m learning a ton and the spirit is so strong here.
One of my teachers, Bro. McNeal, I really like. He’s so enthusiastic about missionary work; he literally bounces off the walls (OK, so not literally, but pretty close). He’s so happy and energetic and knows his scriptures so well that we’ll have a five hour class and not know where the time went. I tried to convince them to have class outside or let me sit on the floor or something just for a little variety, but they wouldn’t be convinced…
So there are six Elders going to West Virginia with me and my companion, Sis. Taylor. So it’s the eight of us, and the two sisters in my room who are going to temple square, in my district here in the MTC. And guess what? I am related to two of the elders. One, Elder Rogers, says he descends from Joel Hills Johnson, and the other, Elder Downward, says he thinks he’s descended from Benjamin Franklin Johnson. Funny, huh? Of course, I’m the oldest one – I haven’t met any missionaries so far that are my age or older. All the elders in my district are barely 19 and the three sisters, barely 21. But nobody had any clue I was 25 until I told them, so I’m not sure whether that’s a good thing or a bad thing. Either I look younger than I am, or I act really immature. :) I also ran into, here at the MTC, a girl that went to George Wythe College who Brian knows, and also one of the guys I went backpacking in the Wind Rivers with. So that was fun.
So, do you want to hear my iron story? The first day I got here I went to iron some of my shirts because everything got wrinkled in my suitcases, but the iron didn’t work, so I was kind of at a loss what to do because I need to look professional as a missionary. But I decided to just go to bed and figure it out in the morning. And guess what? The next morning I had a revelation! :) The first thought I had when I woke up was “throw the iron on the floor”, so I did – five or six times. And it started working! And it’s been working ever since. My companion thought I was funny, she still does. In fact, she says I’m a lot like her older sister who she really gets along with well. She also told me that in her setting apart she was told she would learn a lot from her first companion. I told her that didn’t mean me, but her first companion in the field. :)
For Thanksgiving we had a special Thanksgiving devotional and Jeffrey R. Holland came to speak to us. That was a lot of fun. It was a more informal speech, so he was being really funny. We even got some pulpit pounding. :) He got really passionate about getting it into our heads that we can’t teach others without being converted ourselves and to make our experiences on our mission a part of the rest of our lives and not just let it be an episode that we’ve gotten through and then done with.
Now, I’m about to participate in a humanitarian aid service project putting together first-aid kits. So I better go. Thanks for the letters!
Love, Sister Johnson
P.S. I found a scripture that I really like that helps me when I think I can’t do this. The second half of Moroni 8:16: “…Behold, I speak with boldness, having authority from God; and I fear not what man can do; for perfect love casteth out all fear.”
One of my other favorites in Helaman 5:12:
“And now, my sons, remember, remember that it is upon the rock of our Redeemer, who is Christ, the Son of God, that ye must build your foundation; that when the devil shall send forth his mighty winds, yea, his shafts in the whirlwind, yea, when all his hail and his mighty storm shall beat upon you, it shall have no power over you to drag you down to the gulf of misery and endless wo, because of the rock upon which ye are built, which is a sure foundation, a foundation whereon if men build they cannot fall.”
OK, I really have to go now. Love you all! M.J.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Hello! My name is Joseph Hopkin, one of Kathy's cousins, I took out Melissa one day when she was wandering around in Provo and I was too- and she gave me the address to her blog for her mission. Anyway, (ahem), that's who I am and how I got here. Hi.
I think this is so cool, this webpage! I love the pictures, and I've loved reading Melissa's letters. I don't know how blogs work... But apparently you can send letters on the blog page. I hope that's what I'm doing right now- Well I'll just send this and see what happens.
Hi Joseph, Yep! I send comments from her blog on to Melissa. She can't access the blog herself while she's serving her mission, so she asked me to post her letters and pictures, then forward comments from anyone on to her. Done! Sue (Melissa's Mom)
Post a Comment