Sister Johnson, Larry & Gay Ramsey, & Sister Andersen
My district here in Buena Vista
Hey all,
So yeah, I cut probably about 18 inches of my hair off and donated it to Locks of Love. So it just barely touches my shoulders now and is all layered. I actually really like it. It's weird though, getting used to since I've had my hair so long for a long time.
Gay and Larry Ramsey were baptized last Saturday and it was a really great baptismal service. Two of their member friends gave really good talks all about the symbolism and covenants of baptism and the gift of the Holy Ghost and Sister Andersen and I even sang a special musical number! I don't know what possessed us, but it all turned out good. Gay and Larry have so many friends in the community because they've been around so long that there were a ton of people there and we had to hold the service in the Chapel and then just had everyone go to the place where the font was. But we were so relieved after the baptisms were over because Gay is afraid of water and she accidently swallowed some and started panicking, but it was on her way up out of the water, so they didn't have to re-do the baptism or anything, and it's a good thing because she wouldn't have done it a second time :) It took a lot of faith for her to even do it at all. They are a really loving and fun couple, and will be strong members of the church.
So guess what! My mission president asked Sister Andersen to extend, so I don't have to lose her quite yet. She would have been going home today, but we get to keep her for another transfer, maybe a little less if Pres. Cowley decides so. So that's fun. And everyone around here are so happy to keep her too. She really is amazing. So full of love for those around her and wants to help everyone and really in tune to following the promptings of the spirit. She's can't understand why so many people will be sad when she leaves....
And we were so excited on Sunday, too, because one of the football coaches here at the school that we've been meeting with actually came to church and enjoyed himself. Everyone was so amazed - nobody thought we'd ever get him to set foot in the church building. So we'll see what happens with him. The work here is finally picking up since everyone is back now from the really long Christmas break and the university wards are starting back up. But that also means I'm in church on Sundays from 7:30 in the morning till 4:00 in the afternoon. But oh well, I don't mind - as long as I remember to bring something to eat with me:)
So my birthday is going to be an exciting day. I get to work at habitat for humanity in the morning, and play bingo with the old folks, and then we have another baptism scheduled for one of the university students and then a wedding reception to go to for a girl that had been less-active that the missionaries worked with a lot and is now getting married in the temple. What a great birthday for a missionary! We'll have to see how it all turns out though.
So I did have a few other ideas for my birthday. I'd like to have one of those new Book of Mormon readers for kids, for when we teach with families with little kids - plus the pictures are really nice, especially in the new ones. And I don't know, I've really been wanting to find some long, thick, but dressy socks to wear instead of knee highs (oh how I'm learning to despise such things) so, if you happen to find any, that would be nice, I'll look for some here too. The weather is really crazy here, it just can't make up it's mind. Now it's really cold again. I think it said the high in the next few days is supposed to be 17 degrees. My companion and I decided that we wanted fast classical music to exercise to :) and we thought some of Sousa's (I don't know if that is spelled right) marches would be perfect. Brian would know who I'm talking about if you don't - but alas he's in Uganda :) I'm glad everything is going good with him. I'm excited to hear how everything goes with him and Kira and hiking Kilimanjaro and what not. Well, that's all I can think of right now, just anything you think would be helpful to me as a missionary :) I would like to start a collection like Jeff did of stories and what not that people sent him on his mission. I'd like to hear more stories from Dad and Jeff and Mike and Brian's missions (and both Grandmas too), I guess I never appreciated all they did and experienced until I was out here myself.
Well, I better go. Love you all.
So yeah, I cut probably about 18 inches of my hair off and donated it to Locks of Love. So it just barely touches my shoulders now and is all layered. I actually really like it. It's weird though, getting used to since I've had my hair so long for a long time.
Gay and Larry Ramsey were baptized last Saturday and it was a really great baptismal service. Two of their member friends gave really good talks all about the symbolism and covenants of baptism and the gift of the Holy Ghost and Sister Andersen and I even sang a special musical number! I don't know what possessed us, but it all turned out good. Gay and Larry have so many friends in the community because they've been around so long that there were a ton of people there and we had to hold the service in the Chapel and then just had everyone go to the place where the font was. But we were so relieved after the baptisms were over because Gay is afraid of water and she accidently swallowed some and started panicking, but it was on her way up out of the water, so they didn't have to re-do the baptism or anything, and it's a good thing because she wouldn't have done it a second time :) It took a lot of faith for her to even do it at all. They are a really loving and fun couple, and will be strong members of the church.
So guess what! My mission president asked Sister Andersen to extend, so I don't have to lose her quite yet. She would have been going home today, but we get to keep her for another transfer, maybe a little less if Pres. Cowley decides so. So that's fun. And everyone around here are so happy to keep her too. She really is amazing. So full of love for those around her and wants to help everyone and really in tune to following the promptings of the spirit. She's can't understand why so many people will be sad when she leaves....
And we were so excited on Sunday, too, because one of the football coaches here at the school that we've been meeting with actually came to church and enjoyed himself. Everyone was so amazed - nobody thought we'd ever get him to set foot in the church building. So we'll see what happens with him. The work here is finally picking up since everyone is back now from the really long Christmas break and the university wards are starting back up. But that also means I'm in church on Sundays from 7:30 in the morning till 4:00 in the afternoon. But oh well, I don't mind - as long as I remember to bring something to eat with me:)
So my birthday is going to be an exciting day. I get to work at habitat for humanity in the morning, and play bingo with the old folks, and then we have another baptism scheduled for one of the university students and then a wedding reception to go to for a girl that had been less-active that the missionaries worked with a lot and is now getting married in the temple. What a great birthday for a missionary! We'll have to see how it all turns out though.
So I did have a few other ideas for my birthday. I'd like to have one of those new Book of Mormon readers for kids, for when we teach with families with little kids - plus the pictures are really nice, especially in the new ones. And I don't know, I've really been wanting to find some long, thick, but dressy socks to wear instead of knee highs (oh how I'm learning to despise such things) so, if you happen to find any, that would be nice, I'll look for some here too. The weather is really crazy here, it just can't make up it's mind. Now it's really cold again. I think it said the high in the next few days is supposed to be 17 degrees. My companion and I decided that we wanted fast classical music to exercise to :) and we thought some of Sousa's (I don't know if that is spelled right) marches would be perfect. Brian would know who I'm talking about if you don't - but alas he's in Uganda :) I'm glad everything is going good with him. I'm excited to hear how everything goes with him and Kira and hiking Kilimanjaro and what not. Well, that's all I can think of right now, just anything you think would be helpful to me as a missionary :) I would like to start a collection like Jeff did of stories and what not that people sent him on his mission. I'd like to hear more stories from Dad and Jeff and Mike and Brian's missions (and both Grandmas too), I guess I never appreciated all they did and experienced until I was out here myself.
Well, I better go. Love you all.
No comments:
Post a Comment