I'm drinking out of the mug and wearing the scarf
Deanna sent me for Christmas that she found at Savers
Hi all y'all!
So, I didn't end up having a baptism on my birthday :( Zach was sick, there's a bunch of different bugs going around this little town and it seems everyone is sick! But not me. So far. We had fun working at Habitat for Humanity installing doors, and of course playing bingo with the old folks. Then we made a bunch of visits and tried to convince one guy to dump out his liquor to no avail, and then we had dinner at a little restaurant here that is owned by a member family. It's a really cute little place and they want to turn it into kind of a dinner theater. Right now they have live music every now and then and they have all sorts of games out you can play while you eat. It's just like a little ice cream shop with sandwiches and hamburgers and things but it was good. I actually had a hamburger since I haven't had one for so long! The four elders in my district came and the six of us had the restaurant all to ourselves besides the family that owns it. I shared with them my birthday present from Mike and Sally, the altered-for-missionaries Green Eggs and Ham. They all thought that was pretty funny. Then we were off to the wedding reception and then we stopped by Gay and Larry's because she said she wanted to see me on my birthday. Gay had made me a birthday cake so I got one! When we got home we didn't have any candles besides large ones for decoration, so we stuck one of those on top and I blew it out and made her sing her version of Happy Birthday to me :) I even took a picture for you. So that was basically my birthday.
Oh, and my package got here in time and I loved all my presents they were perfect! I loved my new pajama pants Dad! And how long did it take you to find my Leatherman? And I thoroughly enjoyed Kristi's wrapping jobs :) Love you!
We had zone conference on the Thursday before - my first real one. We got it drilled into our heads again that we are the absolute worst rated mission in the world for car accidents, so be extra careful. It's all the crazy narrow roads here. Any way, it was really neat because Pres. Cowley received a priesthood blessing from all the elders because he was having some problems. That was really neat to see.
Anyway, we got a call just as we were going to bed Sunday night from one of the members telling us about Pres. Hinckley, and then several more that night and the next morning. Everyone wanted to make sure we knew. I realized President Hinckley has been the president of the church for half my life and really the only one that I really knew, because I was young and really didn't pay attention to the ones before. I was actually surprised how sad I felt -because I didn't actually know him, I'd never met him, but yet I felt close to him and knew he loved me even though he didn't know me. I knew he was a prophet of God. But I really was happy at the same time, because he was ready to go, you could tell how weary he was getting. Having a living prophet is such a blessing. I happened to be reading in Mosiah 8 the next day and it talks about the powers that prophets have, but then says in verse 18 (I think, I could be wrong) that even though they can work all these miracles and have all these privileges and powers, they are for OUR benefit, that the prophet is a gift to us. And I'm so grateful for the knowledge that we can never be led astray by the prophet and God has set up his church in such wisdom and order, there is no question that the next in line will be the next prophet with the same power and authority. President Monson will be an amazing President. He's always been one of my favorites. I can just hear his voice even when reading his talks.
So, I didn't end up having a baptism on my birthday :( Zach was sick, there's a bunch of different bugs going around this little town and it seems everyone is sick! But not me. So far. We had fun working at Habitat for Humanity installing doors, and of course playing bingo with the old folks. Then we made a bunch of visits and tried to convince one guy to dump out his liquor to no avail, and then we had dinner at a little restaurant here that is owned by a member family. It's a really cute little place and they want to turn it into kind of a dinner theater. Right now they have live music every now and then and they have all sorts of games out you can play while you eat. It's just like a little ice cream shop with sandwiches and hamburgers and things but it was good. I actually had a hamburger since I haven't had one for so long! The four elders in my district came and the six of us had the restaurant all to ourselves besides the family that owns it. I shared with them my birthday present from Mike and Sally, the altered-for-missionaries Green Eggs and Ham. They all thought that was pretty funny. Then we were off to the wedding reception and then we stopped by Gay and Larry's because she said she wanted to see me on my birthday. Gay had made me a birthday cake so I got one! When we got home we didn't have any candles besides large ones for decoration, so we stuck one of those on top and I blew it out and made her sing her version of Happy Birthday to me :) I even took a picture for you. So that was basically my birthday.
Oh, and my package got here in time and I loved all my presents they were perfect! I loved my new pajama pants Dad! And how long did it take you to find my Leatherman? And I thoroughly enjoyed Kristi's wrapping jobs :) Love you!
We had zone conference on the Thursday before - my first real one. We got it drilled into our heads again that we are the absolute worst rated mission in the world for car accidents, so be extra careful. It's all the crazy narrow roads here. Any way, it was really neat because Pres. Cowley received a priesthood blessing from all the elders because he was having some problems. That was really neat to see.
Anyway, we got a call just as we were going to bed Sunday night from one of the members telling us about Pres. Hinckley, and then several more that night and the next morning. Everyone wanted to make sure we knew. I realized President Hinckley has been the president of the church for half my life and really the only one that I really knew, because I was young and really didn't pay attention to the ones before. I was actually surprised how sad I felt -because I didn't actually know him, I'd never met him, but yet I felt close to him and knew he loved me even though he didn't know me. I knew he was a prophet of God. But I really was happy at the same time, because he was ready to go, you could tell how weary he was getting. Having a living prophet is such a blessing. I happened to be reading in Mosiah 8 the next day and it talks about the powers that prophets have, but then says in verse 18 (I think, I could be wrong) that even though they can work all these miracles and have all these privileges and powers, they are for OUR benefit, that the prophet is a gift to us. And I'm so grateful for the knowledge that we can never be led astray by the prophet and God has set up his church in such wisdom and order, there is no question that the next in line will be the next prophet with the same power and authority. President Monson will be an amazing President. He's always been one of my favorites. I can just hear his voice even when reading his talks.
Anyway I better get going. There's some good things happening here and we've been getting a lot more referrals! Love you all!
No comments:
Post a Comment